Monday, February 22, 2010

Final Piece Pitch


I intend to write my final piece on gender roles in children's television shows. As a babysitter and older sister I find myself watching a lot of television intended for children of ages from 2 to 13, and although I'm not intricately knowledgeable of any of them, I know most of the major plot points. I'm not sure if I should aim more toward 2-6 age shows or 6-13 age shows, because although the older shows involve more typical gender profiling—girly girls and tough, rowdy boys—younger television shows have a greater impact on the child, and may be a more important topic.
For young children's television shows I could use programs like "Higglytown Heroes," "Maya and Miguel," and "Max and Ruby." For older children's television shows I could use examples from "6teen," "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody," and "iCarly."
The way girls and boys are portrayed in children's television shows has a great impact on how children expect each gender to act and interact with one another. Expectations and presumptions formulated early in childhood carry on throughout life and determine the way these future adults will treat each other. Kids are most susceptible to things they see on TV and therefore the ideas conveyed through television shows are an important part of children's development: it is important that those ideas be constructive and equal rather than sexist.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great pitch idea. I also babysit alot and notice these blatant gender roles you are talking about and laugh about them. I truly believe it reinforces certain types of behavior. It is an environmental influence that should be construed in a more balanced way.

    I am interested to see your final piece! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, also, think this is a great pitch idea. There is definitely a lot that you could talk about here and a lot of different shows you could use for examples! I think touching on the fact that the shows are sexist and that they will have a lifelong impact on the children is really strong! I'm really excited to read your final piece. I think it will be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur: great idea! It will particularly important for you to put this in context; there is plenty of research suggesting the gender gap is closing, and you'll need to reference it in order to make a point with greater impact. I'm leaning toward your looking at the shows for younger kids. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete